Friday, January 2, 2009

A book to add to your reading list

I discovered a book that I want to share with you -- Nancy Duarte's Slide:ology. The book is a helpful resource for how to make those PowerPoint and Keynote presentations more effective.

In class, we discussed that PowerPoint is overused in classrooms and often isn't used very effectively. This book agrees with us. Duarte discusses options to PowerPoint (including props and flip charts) and how to decide when to use a slide presentation and when to use other teaching tools.

The majority of the book addresses how to make more effective presentations from limiting the number of words on a slide to including graphics and photos that help make the point and aren't distractors.

The book is in paperback and was on Amazon.com for less than $25. I'd recommend it as a way of continuing with what we started in class -- using slide presentations more effectively. I think I'll make this a required book for MMC 6930 for next fall. If you read the book, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Linda Hallam said...

I'm going to check into this. Also, I need some ideas about where to get help in learning how to design PP with graphics,photos, charts, more interactive etc. I see PP's that look really professional--much better than mine! I tried to get help last fall with a technology office of some sort but didn't get anywhere. Does anyone have a suggestion about where/how I can learn to improve my PP?
Happy New Year, Linda Hallam