Monday, October 20, 2008

Apology and Plea

I just got back the feedback for my presentation and I was curious as to why Dr. Dodd thought the last video that I showed was wildly inappropriate.

After rewatching the video, I quickly learned that I showed everyone a video game where cars drive over people and bodies explode. I did not do this on purpose, I don't think I ever watched the entire video. This behavior on my part while not a huge shock perhaps to some is not appropriate. If I had been a professor showing this type of video, I would have been in a great deal of trouble.

Again, let me reiterate that I apologize for not being aware of what I was showing and that I hope I didn't offend anyone. That being said, if anyone could switch their presentations with me, I would truly appreciate it. I will be presenting on Dec. 1st. I have another major presentation for a different class the same day.

-Dan

1 comment:

Julie said...

Let me use Dan's video clip as a "teachable moment."

Dan used two YouTube video clips in his presentation on Bloom's Taxonomy.

The first one was the drummer climbing up the ladder as a metaphor to climbing up Bloom's Taxonomy. That was an excellent use of a visual to reinforce the points Dan had been making. The video added humor and made the taxonomy more memorable to us.

The second video was one he used after his official lesson was over -- showing how to upload a video to PowerPoint. That could have been used as an example of "application" from Bloom -- illustrating how a concept would be applied, in this case by the person who was demonstrating the concept.

The issue I raised with Dan was the content of the video clip -- either Grand Theft Auto or some other kill/steal video game. I don't think I said "wildly inappropriate" but inappropriate.

You want to avoid using examples in class that may be offensive unless that actually is part of the learning objective. For example, if you wanted to have a discussion on legally obscene content, you might decide to show an example and have the class discuss whether or not it was legally obscene. [Even then, I'd be cautious in what you select and alert the class that you were going to be using R/X rated material as an example and tell students that they have the option to not participate.]

Let me give you a low-tech example. In MMC 2100, we were discussing how and why reporters use direct quotes and were using The Alligator to look for examples. I had read several articles but not every article in that issue.

A student mentioned the quote used in one of the sports stories. I asked the student to read the quote aloud. He hesitated. "Really?"

By then, I found the article and had done a quick scan to find the quote he was referring to -- with the f-word spelled out.

"Oh," I said. "I think we can all read that quote silently and the discuss when we want to use a direct quote and when paraphrase -- and how that might differ between The Alligator and The Sun."

So, always preview before using in class.