Monday, September 29, 2008

Socratic Method as Teaching Method

Socratic Method References

Hope you all enjoyed the presentation on the Socratic Method.
It seems that there are a diversity of feelings on how the Socratic Method is used as a teaching tool for stimulating learning. Here are references to some helpful material if you would like to learn more.

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.” -Socrates

Teaching with questions:Socratic method

Socratic questions

Socratic Teaching, The Critical Thinking Community

Socratic Teaching

Socratic Method Law School Video on YouTube

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the UFL for the one that is not linked is: http://www.criticalthinking.org/resources/k12/socratic-teaching.cfm

Ed Salsberry said...

I have to admit I was feeling like the odd man out as the discussion progressed. I am not a fan of this method overall, but I do see the advantages of it in certain areas, such as teaching an ethics course.

Julie said...

The video clip we watched and our class discussion illustrated that the Socratic Method is a teaching approach that draws mixed reviews.

As with most teaching strategies, the decision is to determine when the Socratic Mehtod is appropriate -- with what subject, with which students, with which learning objectives.